One of the most devastating injuries we encounter is spinal cord injuries (SCIs). In this blog, we’ll explore the causes, consequences, and the legal recourse available to victims of spinal cord injuries.
The Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can result from a variety of accidents and incidents, including:
- Automobile Accidents: Car, motorcycle, and truck accidents are among the leading causes of SCIs. The force and impact of these crashes can damage the spinal cord.
- Slip and Falls: Slip and fall accidents, especially from great heights or onto hard surfaces, can cause severe spinal cord injuries.
- Workplace Accidents: Certain occupations, such as construction or manufacturing, carry a higher risk of SCIs due to falls, equipment accidents, or heavy machinery incidents.
- Sports Injuries: Contact sports like football, rugby, and even extreme sports like snowboarding can result in spinal cord injuries, particularly when proper safety measures are not in place.
- Acts of Violence: Stabbings, shootings, and other violent acts can lead to SCIs, with potential lifelong consequences for the victims.
The Consequences of Spinal Cord Injuries
The consequences of an SCI can be profound and life-changing:
- Paralysis: SCIs often result in partial or complete paralysis, impacting mobility and independence.
- Loss of Sensation: Victims may lose the ability to feel touch, heat, or cold in affected areas.
- Chronic Pain: Many individuals with SCIs experience chronic pain that can be challenging to manage.
- Respiratory Issues: Depending on the level of the injury, individuals may require assistance with breathing, affecting their quality of life.
- Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction: SCI can lead to loss of control over bladder and bowel functions, necessitating lifelong medical care.
Legal Recourse for Spinal Cord Injury Victims
If you or a loved one has suffered an SCI due to someone else’s negligence or intentional harm, you may be entitled to legal recourse. Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Glass & Robson can help you pursue compensation for:
- Medical Expenses: SCIs often result in extensive medical bills, including surgery, rehabilitation, and ongoing care. We can help you recover these costs.
- Lost Wages: Many SCI victims are unable to return to work or require significant accommodations. You may be eligible for compensation for lost income and future earning potential.
- Pain and Suffering: The physical and emotional toll of an SCI is immeasurable. We’ll fight for your rights to compensation for your pain and suffering.
- Long-Term Care: SCI victims often require lifelong care and assistance. We can help you secure funds for ongoing medical and caregiving needs.
- Adaptive Equipment: SCIs often require the use of specialized equipment and home modifications. We’ll work to ensure you have the resources to live as independently as possible.
At Glass & Robson, we understand the unique challenges that spinal cord injury victims face. Our dedicated team is here to provide compassionate support and tenacious advocacy to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Contact Glass & Robson for Experienced Legal Representation
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to someone else’s negligence, don’t hesitate to reach out to Glass & Robson, your trusted personal injury law firm in Atlanta, Georgia. Our experienced attorneys are ready to provide the legal guidance and representation you need during this difficult time. Contact us today for a free consultation. Your road to justice and recovery starts here.